Service Week

The Battle Against Electrical Hazards at Home

Electrical HazardElectricity may be crucial in our daily lives, but it, too, can be a cause of a serious injury or even death. That is why people should always practice caution when handling electrical work. However, as accidents are unpredicatable and anyone can be a victim of electrical shock even right at home, some safety reminders are worth to be taken seriously.

Electric Shock and Its Causes

Electric shock occurs when one is exposed to electricity. At home, exposure to damaged wires and cables as well as broken or exposed plugs and sockets is the common cause of electrical shock incidents. Not wearing protective gear and not using insulated tools when working with electricity can also cause electric shock.

Electrical Injuries

The effect of electric shock depends on different variables, but most of all, on voltage. Children are the most common victims of low voltage shock, which usually causes slight injuries. On the other hand, high-voltage shock often causes burns. More severe cases can lead to internal bleeding, paralysis, brain damage and seizures, spine injuries, and even death.

Avoiding Electric Shock at Home

It may sound easy to avoid electrical shock incidents and injuries, but it isn’t. Just because you do not leave your appliances plugged in all night does not mean you are doing it all good. Below are some dos and don’ts to avoid being a victim of electric shock.

  • Use good insulators like protective tubing with heat shrink technology to wrap around damaged wires and cables.
  • Perform periodic inspection to identify damaged cables and sockets. Replace old electrical wirings with new ones. Remember that even insulated cables are prone to wear and tear after decades.
  •  Use only insulated tools when doing electrical work.
  • Choose and use adaptors wisely. Avoid using cheap or substandard ones. Remember also that you should not overload an adaptor, most especially if it is connected to another adopter.
  • Keep water away from electricity. However, do not hide cables and wires under the carpet.
  • Always use a tester first and de-energize an equipment before working on it.
  • Do not attempt to do electrical work if you are not sure of its ins and outs.

Electric shock can lead to serious injuries and even death. However, you can do steps to make sure your home stays safe against electric hazards.

Spread the love